April 30, 1855 A.D.
January 8, 1859 A.D.
Union Cemetery was instituted on April 30, 1855 A.D. and was
incorporated on January 8, 1859 A.D. The official name is “Union
Cemetery at Addisville”.
The following was stated on an application to the Court of
Common Pleas, of Bucks County in 1859. This Cemetery is eligibly
situated in the township of Northampton, distant a quarter of a
mile from Addisville, fronting on Hatboro road. It contains near
eight acres of handsomely improved land formerly owned by
Joseph Addis. It is a desirably located on a rising ridge of ground
sloping to the south, and commanding a beautiful and extended
view of the surrounding country for the distance of many miles.
The managers named in the 1859 Act of Incorporation were
James C. Cornell (President), Adrian Cornell Sr (General
Superintendent of the Grounds), John Fenton (Manager), Thomas
H. Hart (Treasurer), and Wm. Harris Jr (Secretary).
The "Northern Star Lodge #54 of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows of the State of Pennsylvania" was one of the oldest
organizations in Bucks County. It is believed their first charter
was 1825. They met in the White Bear until they purchased
ground nearby in 1846, and erected a lodge building on Second
Street Pike in Richboro. They also built the Union Cemetery on
Almshouse Road starting in 1854 when they saw a need for a
nonsectarian cemetery in the area. As time passed, membership
dwindled, and it became necessary to sell their lodge hall in the
mid-1960's. The remaining members joined the lodge in
History of Union Cemetery
History - Union Cemetery
Copyright 2012 Union Cemetery
209 Almshouse Road
Richboro, PA 18954